It’s the morning after the election, and I have been very contemplative. I challenge us today to turn the page. It’s where we are in the story. I openly admit I had hoped for a different outcome and I based my vote on a great concern for the moral decay of this country, which is embraced and pushed by a liberal thought process. I base those thoughts on what I believe the Word of God teaches, and the hundreds of conversations I have with people across this country. I have seen what has happened to people as a result of this decline which has gone on for years, not just the last four years. Moral decline has destroyed many nations, or at least they no longer resemble who they once were.
I have seen many Facebook posts, many have been encouraging, some have been discouraging and some have been embarrassing to see God’s people say some of the things they say. The question is: what shall we do now? Most say we need to pray for our country and for our leaders. God’s word absolutely teaches us that in 1 Timothy 2, but we only seem to emphasize the first part. I Timothy 2:1-4:
“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”
Paul is instructing Timothy, who is a pastor might I add, to make sure prayer has priority. Paul said first of all pray, and prayer is “others” focused to bring about change in lives. The purpose as stated in verse four is that all will come to a saving knowledge. In between is that we are to live lives of godliness and holiness. And, it also says this is pleasing to God. I want to be a woman that pleases God.
I just want to give a few thoughts.
- I have seen so many people post: we need to pray for the USA and our leaders. Posting is not enough. We must actually pray daily, and at times, hourly based on what we see happening. Will you turn the page?
- Will you make a sticky note or index card and put within your vision and pray for the leaders, the nation, godliness among God’s people and the salvation of those we agree and/or disagree with?
- Can we honor God by no longer using derogatory terms to describe those in office? Even if we think it’s true, when we use the world’s language and attitude, we often stop the process of getting to verse 4 – that all will be saved. I am not saying embrace that which should not be embraced. I am saying all of us can speak the truth in love, speak it firmly without wavering and yet use language becoming to a child of God. Trust me how often I have to pray like David in Psalm 141:3 – “Take control of what I say, O LORD, and guard my lips.” I even deleted some comments I made on Facebook posts last night because I asked myself, “Is that becoming to God?”
- It is not enough to pray, though we pray we must. Faith without works is dead. It is time to evangelize and disciple instead of just praying, just reading the Word daily, just enjoying good services, etc. We must be patient when God places people in our path. They need the Lord and they need time to grow up in Him.
- It is time to stop accusing each other of not being “Christian enough” for how someone voted. I understand where people are coming from, but God is the one who will judge people’s vote.
- Things must fall in place for end time events. I don’t know the timeline, but I do know things will go downhill before the coming of the Lord. Read the book.
- Take time to read the stories in the Old and New Testaments. God’s people were constantly in hostile environments, yet they thrived in the Spirit. They aw miracles, God’s divine intervention and people added to the Church. It’s a time to thrive in the Spirit if we truly say God is on the throne, He is in control and He is our King. God will come upon us through His Spirit to do great exploits in difficult times. Think of Moses, David, Paul, and others. Daniel was the poster boy for a bad political environment, yet God heard His prayer and allowed Him to used greatly. They thrived and did great exploits without having the world’s approval or a good political climate.
So my question is: Will you turn the page today? Will we take our anger, disappointment and discouragement to the Lord? Will we allow Him to encourage and refill us? I want to be like Isaiah and say, “Even in the year when Uzziah died, I ALSO saw the Lord.” As a woman who lost a son, which is so painful I can’t even describe it for you, I can say, “Even in the year Bryan died, I ALSO saw the Lord.” I saw that He is high and lifted up. I saw that He is still on his throne. His train was so big it filled the temple. In other words, “His robe was way bigger than any other king’s robe.” He is the King of kings. He is big. He is on the throne.
Today if you are disappointed or discouraged, I hope you will take a look at Him again and see how big He is. I pray you will turn the page because the story is not over.