Recently Andrew had a large toy in each hand, and saw another that he wanted. He could not pick up the new toy, because he wasn’t willing to lay down what was already in his hands. He fussed, tried to figure out how to do it, but to no avail. I kept saying to Andrew, “Lay it down, so you can pick up what you desire.” But, no, no, no! Andrew never did pick up what was before him, because he was not willing to release the grip on what he thought was so precious.
Andrew was overloaded with his own stuff.
One of the greatest enemies of walking in what God has for us, is holding on to things that we need to lay down. Here are some thoughts:
- Let’s lay down the failures of the past, things we cannot change, and walk in the new day God gives us. This is the day the Lord has made; I will rejoice in today!
- Let’s lay down the disappointment of Church folks, and become a vital part of a local church. The oyster puts up with the irritant of sand, and winds up with a pearl.
- Let’s lay down the hurts that are suffocating us, and release them to God.
- Let’s lay down the negative self-images, and thank God for who He made us to be.
- Let’s lay down wishing we had a certain gift, and pick up the anointed gift God has given us. There are miracles in every anointed gift that God bestows.
- Let’s lay down bad, harsh attitudes, and pick up joy.
- Let’s lay down Facebook and other media, and pick up the Word of God.
- Let’s lay down a wagging tongue, and pick up words that heal and offer hope.
I could go on and on. We all fight these kinds of battles, and it’s easy to hold on to these things. The power is in releasing stuff that keeps us from walking through the open door God has for us. As a great Bill Gaither song says:
In the things familiar we find security
Resisting all the changes that days and years can bring
When God decides to lead you through an open door
Inviting you to walk in realms you’ve never known before
Beyond the open door is a new and fresh anointing
Hear the Spirit calling you to go
Walk on through the door for the Lord will go before you
Into a greater power you’ve never known before.
“Let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress …” (Hebrews 12:1b NLT)